The Wabasso Fire Department has taken great pride in providing top-line firefighters, facilities, equipment, and training to the residents of the city and surrounding townships. We welcome applications from men and women from all walks of life to work with us as we continue the tradition of service we are committed to provide.
Who can be an Wabasso Firefighter?
To be an Wabasso Firefighter, you must;
- be at least 18 years of age
- have a high school diploma or GED
- have a Minnesota Class D driver’s license and clean driving record
- live within 15 minute drive time of the Wabasso Fire Station
- be able to complete the requirements of the job with or without reasonable accommodations
What kind of training is required to be an Wabasso Firefighter?
The Wabasso Fire Department coordinates and provides all required training. In addition to learning the “Wabasso” way of providing excellent service, the successful candidates will receive the required certification in the following areas of study;
- Firefighter I Fire Service Certification
- Hazardous Materials – Operational Level
What do Wabasso Firefighters do?
Primary Duties include;
- respond to the fire station when paged for service that includes but is not limited to fires, rescues, and medical emergencies
- assist with apparatus and equipment testing and maintenance
- assist as requested and needed with building maintenance
- operate firefighting vehicles and equipment as needed
- commit to meeting the minimum training requirements in firefighting techniques by participating in live burns, drills, and other trainings
Are Wabasso Firefighters paid?
Firefighters all receive a City Council approved hourly rate for each hour that they train and each hour they are on a call. The 2020 hourly pay rate for Wabasso Firefighters is $10.00 for fire calls and $7.50 for training. We also have a Relief Association retirement benefit.
How can I apply to be an Wabasso Firefighter?
You may download the membership application, complete and return it to Larry Thompson, City Clerk Treasurer, 1429 Front St., Wabasso, MN 56293; or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also drop the your application in the drop box located on the south side of the community Center or apply online below.